Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Auntie Kathy

One thing that we've been sure of throughout our journey with Avery is that we have an amazing support system of family and friends helping us through it.  We are so grateful for this and never take it for granted.
About two weeks ago, we got a phone call from one of our biggest supporters, John's sister, Kathy, that completely took us by surprise.  She was calling to tell us that she has breast cancer.  I still can't believe it, and every time we've talked since then, I'm thinking the whole time, "are we really having this conversation?!"  Hearing Kathy say things like "chemo," and "mastectomy" are too bizarre a concept, and after all I've been through in my own life, I didn't think anything could shock me, but was wrong.  You truly never think cancer will strike in your own family, but then it does, and it turns everything upside down.  The real shock was the timing of this awful news.  Exactly one month before her wedding day.  I can't help but think (as I know she is), "it's just not fair."  I know these words ran through my head many a time, so I expect she's thinking them too, as she's entitled to.  There is never a good time to find out you have cancer, but Kathy has waited a long time to meet her Prince Charming, and has spent this whole year planning a beautiful event to celebrate it, so being blindsided with this news RIGHT NOW really sucks.  Thoughts of seating charts, wedding hair and make-up have shifted to thoughts of surgery and scars and cancer treatment.  These should be the happiest days of her life, and I'm sorry that some of that joy has been taken from her, as she inevitably is scared for what's ahead of her.  She's walked the Komen 3-Day for six years, raising money and awareness for a cancer she never imagined she'd one day get.  It really isn't fair.  But in giving it more thought, I realize she now has a support system from all those walks, and she has the love and support of her fiancĂ© to get her through this, and no matter when she found it out, it would still really suck.  While my heart breaks for her and what I can only imagine she's feeling, I know she will face this bravely and beat cancer's butt!
 
Kathy is no stranger to devastating health news being in our family - her dad has been through several surgeries and health scares, and of course she's been by our side with Avery's issues.  But this is her first personal battle, and she knows it's not going to be easy.  We, her family, will be behind her all the way, just as she's been for us.  I've been lucky enough to get very close with Kathy over the years; she's someone I confide in, and visa versa, she was in my wedding, as I will be in hers.  We have been with each other through many big events, both happy and sad, and like every good family, we support each other.  
This news has me reflecting back to our early days with Avery, and how Kathy was there for so many of the big, awful, scary moments.  She was there for Avery's first surgery to remove her brain cyst at 5 weeks old.  Kathy came up with my in-laws and she sat with us in that waiting room and distracted me with any and every subject that wasn't brain surgery.  She was there the day our pediatrician told me to take Avery into the ER for a spinal tap for meningitis.  She had literally just arrived at our door step to help us out for a few days, and we left her with our dog while we took Avery to the hospital.  And I will never forget that she was the only person in the room with me, giving me a hug when I asked the doctor if Avery would pull through that infection, and he said, "I don't know."  Since those early days, she's been one of our biggest supporters, spreading awareness about Avery's disorders and helping us with fundraising for Hydrocephalus Association.  If she can't be here in person, she sends encouraging notes and texts, and always checks in on updates.  If you are ever in a bad situation, no matter how little or well Kathy knows you, she will be there for you.  She's just that kind of person.  She's always been one of the most thoughtful, generous and caring people I have known, and I know that she will see that all come back to her now that she is the one who needs it.
So this entry is to let her know how much she is loved, appreciated and thought of.  Her support over the years has not gone unnoticed, and although it's sad that it takes news like this to really bring to light how much we appreciate someone, it's a good reminder to cherish our loved ones.  We are so sorry that you have to battle breast cancer, and although we're not sure what your journey will be like, we are sure of the fact that we are here to support you through it.  We will be sending out prayers and happy thoughts as you begin your battle tomorrow, and we will be celebrating huge with you in 18 days when you get married!  We love you, Kathy/Auntie Kathy!!
If you would like to follow Kathy's battle with breast cancer, please visit her page at: www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathysfight3





1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written blog entry, Ann. Kathy is an amazing person - always full of love and support for those around her. We will all do for her what she does so effortlessly, give her the support she needs and surround her with encouragement and love. Thank you for writing this. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Looking forward to seeing you in 18 days!

    ReplyDelete